Next Event: Annual General Meeting
The Sinking of the RMS Lusitania - Grief for a Galway FamilySpeaker: Michael Martin. Wednesday 21st January 2015 in Lackagh Parish Centre, 8:15pm.
Founded in 1995, the Western Family History Association is a genealogy association based in Galway, Ireland. Home counties of members include Galway, Clare, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo and Leitrim and some members come from as far afield as Cork. It is a self-help group for its members and does not carry out research.
The Association typically holds 5 meetings per annum, together with a number of other activities throughout the year. In addition to these activities it provides a continually expanding library of genealogical and historical books for members' usage.
Our regular meetings are held in Lackagh Parish Centre, Lackagh, Co. Galway. A list of forthcoming meetings is available here.
Benefits to Members
Some benefits to members include:
- Learn how to trace your family history, genealogy and ancestry.
- By attending and participating in the meetings of the WFHA you get to benefit from the experience and expertise of members ranging from beginners to those who have several years experience in tracing their family history.
- Access to the latest information presented by expert speakers including how to access family records, census data, emigrant data and the latest developments in genealogy, such as, the digitisation of family records, births, marriages and deaths and information on how genetics can be used to help trace ancestry.
- Discuss and exchange information and ideas which can influence discovery of new individual insights and perspectives on family history and genealogy.
- Join in tours to selected venues and sites relevant to the progress of knowledge and technical expertise in tracing family history.
- Automatic membership of the WFHA library, which contains 286 books and 21 CDs on related topics.
Should you wish to become a member, you can email us or just come along to our meeting and join up there.Follow @WesternFHA